Lips are often left out of the anti-aging conversation. However, volume loss and lines around the mouth are some of the earliest signs of aging.
Like the rest of your skin, your lips have three layers. The difference is that the stratum corneum on your lips is far thinner than it is anywhere else on your body.
In addition, our lips don’t contain oil glands like other parts of the skin. As a result, the lips are more susceptible to drying out and becoming chapped or cracked. Lack of moisture can make the problem worse, whether it’s weather-induced or related to a lack of self-care.
If your current lip care routine involves a swipe of lip balm whenever they're feeling dry, there's more you could be doing to maintain a youthful pout.
Best Lip Tips
Don’t lick. Licking your lips only dries them out more. Saliva evaporates quickly, causing your lips to be drier after you lick them than they were before.
Don’t use flavored lip balms. When you put tasty things on your lips, you’re tempted to lick. While flavored lip balms may be fun, they can lead to a dry, cracked mouth — which is no fun at all.
Steer clear of allergens. Lips get irritated when they come in contact with perfumes, dyes, or fragrances. You should also look out for phenol, menthol, and salicylic acid, which can dry and irritate lips. Be sure to keep products with these ingredients far from your mouth.
Incorporate protective & moisturizing ingredients. Now that you're aware of what NOT to put on your lips, it’s important to acknowledge what you should be applying. Look for products that incorporate elements such as natural oils and potent antioxidants.
Make lips part of your nighttime routine. While we are dedicated to our nighttime skincare ritual, we often forget to apply any lip treatments before bed! A luxurious coat will work wonders overnight to keep your lips moisturized and ready to take on the next day.
Luzern Mini Lip Treatment
1. Cleanse lips with L’Essentials Micellar Cleansing Water: Shake a few drops onto a cotton pad and swipe over lips. This removes impurities and lip color from lips, leaving them clean, refreshed and perfectly prepped.
2. Exfoliate lips with L’Essentials Micro-Exfoliant: Using your fingertip, massage the exfoliant onto lips in a circular motion and rinse or wipe off. This will buff away dry skin and condition the lips, leaving them soft and supple.
3. Masque lips with Nuit Hydra Enzyme Masque: Apply a small amount of masque onto lips with Luzern Precision Masque Application Brush. Remove after 5 minutes. This Hydrating Masque will replenish and moisturize for smoother lips.
4. Hydrate lips with L’Essentials Hydrating Essence: Shake a few drops onto cotton pad and press onto lips, infusing hydration for intensely moisturized lips.
5. Condition and protect withL’Essentials Lip Enhancing Treatment: Apply a thin layer to lips morning and night, using the applicator tip. This will visibly improve the suppleness, texture, and volume of the lips.
Find yours today in our online store or at our spa in Sarasota on 4370 S. Tamiami Trail.